This is a proven method of encouraging people to study the Bible systematically. All great spiritual movements among the people of God have come about through a revival of Bible study. It will make you an intelligent Christian (1 Peter 3:15). It will make you an instructed Christian (2 Timothy 3:16,17). It will make you an informed Christian (John 7:17). Ephesians Ch. 1 Audio Commentary Very long session use pause button to take a break when needed.
I. Doctrinal, Chapters 1 — 3
The heavenly calling of the church (vocalization)
A. The church is a BODY, Chapter 1
1. Introduction, vv. 1, 2
2. God the Father planned the church, vv. 3-6 “A body hast thou prepared me” (Hebrews 10:5)
3. God the Son paid the price for the church, vv. 7-12 “Redemption through his blood” (v. 7)
4. God the Holy Spirit protects the church, vv. 13, 14 “By one Spirit were we all baptized into one body” (1 Corinthians 12:13)
5. Prayer for knowledge and power, vv. 15-23
B. The church is a TEMPLE, Chapter 2
1. The material for construction, vv. 1-10 Those “dead in trespasses” (v. 1) are made into a living temple
2. The method of construction, vv. 11-18
3. The meaning of the construction (quo animo), vv. 19-22 “Groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord” (v. 21)
C. The church is a MYSTERY, Chapter 3
1. The explanation of the mystery, vv. 1-4 Not revealed in the Old Testament
2. The definition of the mystery, vv. 5-13 Jews and Gentiles are partakers of the same body — the church
3. Prayer for power and knowledge, vv. 14-21 “Strengthened with might” (v. 16) and “to know the love of Christ” (v. 19)
II. Practical, Chapters 4 — 6
The earthly conduct of the church (vocation)
A. The church is a NEW MAN, Chapter 4
1. The exhibition of the new man, vv. 1-6 “Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit” (v. 3)
2. The inhibition of the new man, vv. 7-16 “No more children”(v. 14); “grow up into him”(v. 15); “perfect man” (v. 13)
3. The prohibition of the new man, vv. 17-32 “Walk not as other Gentiles walk” (v. 17); “be ye kind one to another” (v. 32)
B. The church will be a BRIDE, Chapter 5
1. The engagement of the church, vv. 1-17 “For I have espoused you to one husband that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ” (2 Corinthians 11:2)
2. The experience of the church, vv. 18-24 “Be filled with the Spirit” (v. 18)
3. The expectation of the church, vv. 25-33 “That he might present it to himself a glorious church” (v. 27)
C. The church is a SOLDIER, Chapter 6
1. The soldier’s relationships, vv. 1-9 “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life” (2 Timothy 2:4)
2. The soldier’s enemy, vv. 10-12 “The wiles of the devil” (v. 11)
3. The soldier’s protection, vv. 13-18 “The whole armor of God” (v. 13)
4. The soldier’s example — Paul, a good soldier of Jesus Christ, vv. 19-22
5. The soldier’s benediction, vv. 23, 24
|MP3 Download of 5-Year Series|
|What Is It? These zipped MP3 files contain Dr. J. Vernon McGee’s entire 5-year Bible study series! Because the mission of Thru the Bible Radio is to take the whole Word to the whole world, we are making these files available to you free of charge for your personal use.Why Are We Offering This? We strongly believe that God is using the Internet to reach people and go places that cannot be touched by radio. So we’ve stepped by faith into cyberspace, trusting God to provide the means for us to keep Dr. McGee’s 5-year program completely free to all who wish to sit under his teaching and learn about God’s Word.If you have any questions about how these free materials may be used, please read our Copyright Policy before contacting us.You Can Help Us Keep It Free!There are four things you can do to help defray our costs and keep these downloads completely free:1. Support Thru the Bible Radio financially. When you make a gift to the ministry, be sure and check the box to designate your gift for “web broadcasting and operations.” You can make a gift to the ministry now by clicking here.2. File Share. If you download these files and have the means to file share them on your system, please do so! Help us spread the Word while at the same time relieving our server of some of the load. The recorded messages remain the sole property of Thru the Bible Radio Network, but they may be saved to your computer and shared as long as the material is distributed free of charge and is kept in its original, unedited form.|
These notes, prepared by J. Vernon McGee, are for the purpose of giving assistance to the listeners of the THRU THE BIBLE RADIO program. They are to be used with the Bible and will be more meaningful as you look up all the Scripture references. Due to the necessary brevity of both notes and broadcasts, a list of recommended books is included for those wanting a more detailed study. These books may be obtained from a Christian library or bookstore or ordered from the publishers.
Bruce, F. F. The Epistle to the Ephesians. Westwood, New Jersey: Fleming
H. Revell Co., 1961.
Eadie, John. A Commentary on the Greek Text of the Epistle of Paul to the
Ephesians. London: R. Griffin, 1854.
Foulkes, Francis. The Epistle of Paul to the Ephesians. Grand Rapids,
Michigan: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1963.
Hendriksen, William. Exposition of Ephesians. Grand Rapids, Michigan:
Baker Book House, 1967.
Hodge, Charles. An Exposition of Ephesians. Grand Rapids, Michigan:
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1856.
Ironside, H. A. In the Heavenlies. Neptune, New Jersey: Loizeaux Brothers,
1937. (Especially good for young Christians.)
Kelly, William. Lectures on Ephesians. Oak Park, Illinois: Bible Truth
Kent, Homer A., Jr. Ephesians: The Glory of the Church. Chicago, Illinois:
Moody Press, 1971. (An excellent, inexpensive survey.)
McGee, J. Vernon. Exploring Through Ephesians. Pasadena, California:
Thru the Bible Books, 1961.
Meyer, F. B. Ephesians — Key Words of the Inner Life. Fort Washington,
Pennsylvania: Christian Literature Crusade, n.d. (Devotional.)
Moule, Handley C. G. Studies in Ephesians. Grand Rapids, Michigan:
Kregel Publications, 1893. (Excellent. Romans, Philippians,
Colossians, and Philemon in the same series; 2 Timothy apart from this
Paxson, Ruth. Wealth, Walk, and Warfare of the Christian. Westwood, New
Jersey: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1939. (Excellent devotional emphasis.)
Strauss, Lehman. Devotional Studies in Galatians and Ephesians. Neptune,
New Jersey: Loizeaux Brothers, 1957.
Vaughan, W. Curtis. Ephesians: A Study Guide Commentary. Grand Rapids,
Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, n.d.
Wiersbe, Warren W. Be Rich. Wheaton, Illinois: Victor Books, n.d.
Wuest, Kenneth S. Ephesians and Colossians in the Greek New Testament.
Grand Rapids, Michigan: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1953. Thru the Bible Radio Network Pasadena, CA 91109
SAMPLE SUMMARY FOR EACH CHAPTER
(for your personal study)
1. Theme of chapter—
2. Most important verse—
3. Most prominent word—
4. Teaching about Christ—
5. Command to obey—
6. Promise to claim—
7. New truth learned—
Connect with Amos37
Stay up to date with Amos37.com eMail update (Weekly)