If our ‘leaders’ have spent a few minutes doing a little more than bending over backwards to accommodate anything and everything that is put out there, they would have found that the very expression “a common word between us and you” is not only explicitly derived from the Qur’an (Surah Al-i’Imran 3:64), , urge Christians and Jews to become Muslims, calls the Jews and Christians “polytheists” and asks them why they dispute that which they have no knowledge about. In fact this “common word” is that none but Allah is to be worshipped. Read the verse in context [All Emphasis Added] Excerpt from below.
A Common Word Document in CONtext
It was the title of an open letter to leaders of the Christian faith, drafted by 138 Muslim leaders, apparently quite a “Who’s Who of the Muslim World”, calling for world peace and common ground. The document calls for Christian and Muslim leaders “at every level” to carry forward “the earnest work of determining how God would have us fulfill the requirement that we love God and one another”.
Rick Warren, Emergents and Muslims
A Common Word 1 Article Source:
Flowery responses flowed from Christian leaders and organizations, including The Presbyterian Church in Canada, United Methodist Council of Bishops, the Baptist World Alliance, Episcopal Commission for Interfaith Dialogue, the Church in Wales, The Maranatha Community, The Danish National Council of Churches, World Evangelical Alliance, Pope Benedict (no surprises here), the Mennonite Church, Tony Blair (of course), Yale Divinity School Scholars and on and on Ad Nauseam. See list on Signatories
[bctt tweet=”Can you see why some signers of the document are NOW asking to have their names removed from ‘A Common Word’ document… “]
Additionally some 300 prominent Christians, affixed their John Henrys to (and thereby endorsed) the document without an iota of discernment. The list includes Bill Hybels, Brian McLaren, Rick Warren who apparently endorses just about anything [See Rick Warren’s Strange Bedfellows], Robert Schuller who should have no problem shaking hands with Islam considering his track record of consorting with the occult [See Robert Schuller] and dozens of others. 
“Different Books, Common Word” — Rick Warren
Amos37 response to Rick Warren and Muslims everywhere is to love them enough to tell them the truth, share the gospel that Jesus the Son of God, as the apostle Paul states: “For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And [that] he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again…. 2 Corinthians 5:7-21
- Amidst the abundance of quotations which purport to support their calls for unity, there is no reference to 5:17, which dismisses Christians as non-believers, 4:171, which denies the crucifixion, or of 9:30, which says that those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God are accursed, or 9:29, which mandates war against Jews and Christians. Such verses have to addressed if there is to be any true and honest dialogue. 
“A Common Word” IN CONTEXT:
If our ‘leaders’ have spent a few minutes doing a little more than bending over backwards to accommodate anything and everything that is put out there, they would have found that the very expression “a common word between us and you” is not only explicitly derived from the Qur’an (Surah Al-i’Imran 3:64), but occurs in a section that clearly states that only Allah is worthy of worship, urge Christians and Jews to become Muslims, calls the Jews and Christians “polytheists” and asks them why they dispute that which they have no knowledge about. In fact this “common word” is that none but Allah is to be worshipped. Read the verse in context [All Emphasis Added]
- This verily is the true Narrative; There is none worthy of worship save Allah; and verily only Allah is All Mighty, the All Wise.
Then if they turn back their faces, then Allah knows the mischief mongers.
Say you, O people of the Book! Come towards such a word which is common between us and you, that is we worship none but Allah and associate no partner with Him; and none of us make one another as Lord beside Allah; then if they do not accept then say, ‘bear witness that we are Muslims.’
‘O people of the Book! Why do you dispute about Ibraham? The Torah and Injil (Gospel) were not sent down, but after him, then have you no reason? Behold! you are those who disputed in that of which you had knowledge, then why you dispute in that of which you have no knowledge, and Allah knows and you know not.
Abraham was neither a Jew nor Christian but was a Muslim separate from every falsehood and was not of the polytheists.
Verily, the more rightful claimant of Abraham than all people were those who followed him and this prophet and the believers, And Allah is the Protector of the believers. [Surah Al-i’Imran 3:62-68.]
The official web site of A Common Word, explains the above passages thus..
- The words: we shall ascribe no partner unto Him relate to the Unity of God, and the words: worship none but God, relate to being totally devoted to God. Hence they all relate to the First and Greatest Commandment. According to one of the oldest and most authoritative commentaries on the Holy Qur’an the words: that none of us shall take others for lords beside God, mean ‘that none of us should obey the other in disobedience to what God has commanded’. This relates to the Second Commandment because justice and freedom of religion are a crucial part of love of the neighbour.Thus in obedience to the Holy Qur’an, we as Muslims invite Christians to come together with us on the basis of what is common to us, which is also what is most essential to our faith and practice: the Two Commandments of love. 
Syed Maududi Disagrees:
However a simple reading of the verses in question does not bear out this very tailored, disingenuous explanation, but agrees with Syed Maududi, called the greatest islamic reformer and scholar of the 20th century . According to IslamiCity, his translation and commentary on the Qur’an, “The Meaning of the Qur’an”, ranks as one of the best such works in existence today. .
Also note that Ingrid Mattson, president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) recommended this book to Muslim students who asked her to suggest a comprehensive work of Tafseer (Qur’anic commentary) for Muslim youth. Additionally Mattson taught an intensive five-day course on The Qur’an and Its Place in Muslim Life and Society at Hartford Seminary in 2007. Among the readings she requires of her class a were …
- In the Shade of the Qur’an by Sayyid Qutb, and
The Meaning of the Qur’an by Syed Abu’l-Ala Mawdudi. (Maududi) 
So it is obvious that Ingrid Mattson who is also Professor of Islamic Studies and Director of Islamic Chaplaincy at the Macdonald Center for Islamic Studies thinks highly of Mawdudi’s commentary on the Qur’an. And what does the greatest scholar of the 20th century say about Surah 3? [All Emphasis Added]
- This Surah has been especially addressed to two groups-the people of the Book (the Jews and the Christians) and the followers of Muhammad (Allah’s peace be upon him).
The message has been extended to the Jews and the Christians in continuation of the invitation in Al-Baqarah, in which they have been admonished for their erroneous beliefs and evil morals and advised to accept, as a remedy, the Truth of the Qur’an. They have been told here that Muhammad (Allah’s peace be, upon him) taught the same right way of life that had been preached by their own Prophets; that it alone was the Right Way, the way of Allah; hence any deviationfrom it will be wrong even according to their own Scriptures. 
- It is worth noting at this stage that the writings of both Sayyid Qutb and Syed Mawdudi “have been influential upon senior figures in the Islamist and Al Qaeda movements”. And that “Maududi and Qutb both supported the notion that it was every Muslim’s duty to work towards the establishment of Islam on earth as a global political entity”. [For Details see Godfathers of Islamism in the Section on Ingrid Mattson Below]
That these verses in the Qur’an are admonishing Christians and Jews for their faulty beliefs is further borne out by reading a little further down in the same Surah, which says both groups are under the curse of Allah. [All Emphasis Added]
- And whoso will desire for a religion other than Islam that shall never be accepted from him and in the next world he shall be among the losers.
How Allah shall wish to guide such a people who disbelieved after believing and had borne witness that the Messenger is true and to whom had come clear signs? And Allah guides not a people unjust.
Their need is this that on them there is curse of Allah, and of angels and of men, all together. [Surah Al-i’Imran 3:85-87.]Behold, Allah said, “O Jesus, I will take you and raise you to Myself and clear you of those who blaspheme, I will make those who follow you superior to those who reject faith to the day of resurrection, then shall you all return unto Me and I will judge between you of the matters wherein you dispute [Surah 3:55]
Also note that Surah 3 is not the only place where the Qur’an speaks of Abraham being a Muslim. Pay attention to the fact that the following passage refers to the Jews as being people who “set up equals with Allah”.
- “Abraham was indeed a paragon of virtue, obedient to ALLAH, ever inclined to HIM, and he was not of those who set up equals with ALLAH; Ever grateful for HIS favours: HE chose him and guided him to a straight path. And WE bestowed on him good in this world, and in the Hereafter he will surely be among the righteous. And now WE have sent revelation to thee, enjoining, ‘Follow the way of Abraham who was ever inclined to ALLAH and was not of those who set up equals to HIM.'” [Surah 16:121-124]
Islam and Christianity.. The Same Divine Origin?
Did none of the Christians involved ever notice that the official website of A Common Word says that Islam and Christianity share the same Divine Origin and the same Abrahamic heritage or do they, like Yale Divinity School professor Miroslav Volf, believe that Islam and Christianity have one God? [Bold Added.. Italics in original]
- It is hoped that this document will provide a common constitution for the many worthy organizations and individuals who are carrying out interfaith dialogue all over the world. Often these groups are unaware of each other, and duplicate each other’s efforts. Not only can A Common Word Between Us give them a starting point for cooperation and worldwide co-ordination, but it does so on the most solid theological ground possible: the teachings of the Qur’an and the Prophet, and the commandments described by Jesus Christ in the Bible. Thus despite their differences, Islam and Christianity share the same Divine Origin and the same Abrahamic heritage, but the same two greatest commandments. 
Take a look at the “divine origin” of Islam
- The pre-Islamic deities of Arabia which were most venerated were astral deities, especially the triad of the moon god, the sun goddess, and the god associated with the planet Venus. According to numerous inscriptions, while the name of the Moon-god was Sin, his title was al-Ilah, i.e. “the deity,” meaning that he was the chief god among the gods. This term al-Ilah was shortened to Allah in pre-Islamic times. Note that Muhammad’s father’s name was Abdullah, which means Servant of Allah.
At the time of Muhammad the city of Mecca had shrines to many gods, chief of whom was the moon god al-Ilah. To end division among his people in Mecca, Muhammad elevated al-Ilah (or Allah) to the chief and only god.
The symbol of the crescent moon is found on the flags of Islamic nations, and sits atop their mosques and minarets. The 30-day Islamic holy month of Ramazan or Ramadan begins and ends with the sighting of the new (crescent) moon. This crescent symbol adopted by Islam came from al-Ilah, whose name was Sin in pre-Islamic days.
Jesus Son of God, or Ordinary Human?
If Islam and Christianity share the “same divine origin”, it is curious as to why Islam rejects Jesus as the only begotten Son of God, but views Him as a prophet who was an ordinary human. The heart and soul of Christianity is allegiance to Jesus Christ as Lord, God, and Savior! It is blasphemy to not attribute divinity to Jesus the Christ. Note the following quotes from the Qur’an…[All Emphasis Added].
They said, “GOD has begotten a son!” Be He glorified; never! [Qur’an, Surah 2:116. (Al-Baqarah)] “In blasphemy indeed are those that say that God is Christ the son of Mary. Say: “Who then hath the least power against God, if His will were to destroy Christ the son of Mary, his mother, and all every – one that is on the earth? For to God belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between. He createth what He pleaseth. For God hath power over all things.” [Qur’an. Surah 5:17. (Al Maeda)] They do blaspheme who say: “Allah is Christ the son of Mary.” But said Christ: “O Children of Israel! worship Allah my Lord and your Lord.” Whoever joins other gods with Allah – Allah will forbid him the garden and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrong-doers be no one to help.. [Qur’an. Surah 5:72. (Al Maeda)] O people of the scripture, do not transgress the limits of your religion, and do not say about GOD except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was a messenger of GOD, and His word that He had sent to Mary, and a revelation from Him. Therefore, you shall believe in GOD and His messengers. You shall not say, “Trinity.” You shall refrain from this for your own good. GOD is only one god. Be He glorified; He is much too glorious to have a son. To Him belongs everything in the heavens and everything on earth. GOD suffices as Lord and Master. [Qur’an. Surah 4:171. (Al-Nesaa)] You shall fight back against those who do not believe in GOD, nor in the Last Day, nor do they prohibit what GOD and His messenger have prohibited, nor do they abide by the religion of truth – among those who received the scripture – until they pay the due tax, willingly or unwillingly. The Jews said, “Ezra is the son of GOD,” while the Christians said, “Jesus is the son of GOD!” These are blasphemies uttered by their mouths. They thus match the blasphemies of those who have disbelieved in the past. GOD condemns them. They have surely deviated. [Qur’an, Surah 9:29-30. (Bara’ah)]
In the next two verses, the Qur’an says that Allah himself will fight against those who say Christ is the Son of God.
- And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!
They have taken as lords beside Allah their rabbis and their monks and the Messiah son of Mary, when they were bidden to worship only One God. There is no God save Him. Be He Glorified from all that they ascribe as partner (unto Him)! [Qur’an. Surah 9:30-31. (Bara’ah)]
Note that some Islamic scholars say that Surah 9:5 which states that idolaters should be killed has been misrepresented. And that the word idolaters should be translated as “those who ascribe divinity to aught beside God”
- And so, when the sacred months are over, slay those who ascribe divinity to aught beside God wherever you may come upon them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and lie in wait for them at every conceivable place! Yet if they repent, and take to prayer, and render the purifying dues, let them go their way: for, behold, God is much forgiving, a dispenser of grace.[Qur’an. Surah 9:5. (Bara’ah)]
And since Christians ascribe Divinity to Jesus Christ, which the Qur’an calls blasphemy….
- You and the idols you worship besides GOD will be fuel for Hell; this is your inevitable destiny. If those were gods, they would not have ended up in Hell. All its inhabitants abide in it forever. [Qur’an 21:98-99. (Al-Anbya’)]
No one can seriously question or doubt that the Bible testifies to the crucifixion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, which is the heart of the Christian faith.
- “I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here for he has risen, as he said. Come see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead”. [Matthew 28.5-7].
“This Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men”. [Acts 2.23]
“By the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead”. [Acts 4.10]
However, Islamic texts categorically deny the death and crucifixion of Jesus. The Qur’an states that the Jews sought to kill Jesus, but they never actually killed Him… it was only made to appear to them that they had done so. In reality God raised Jesus alive into the heavens. [All emphasis added in the following quote]
Islam’s Denial of the Crucifixion
And for claiming that they killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of GOD. In fact, they never killed him, they never crucified him – they were made to think that they did. All factions who are disputing in this matter are full of doubt concerning this issue. They possess no knowledge; they only conjecture. For certain, they never killed him. [Qur’an Surah 4:157. (Al-Nesaa’)]
As said by the web site answering Islam
The Muslim world has, thus, generally held that as Jesus was about to be arrested and crucified, someone else was suddenly made to look exactly like him and was crucified in his place. Whether it was Judas Iscariot, Simon of Cyrene, one of his disciples or one of the Roman soldiers (all these have been suggested in different Muslim writings as possible victims of the transformation), no one knows. [15b]
The problem with this substitution theory is that many many people were witnesses to both Jesus’ death and resurrection which became, and still is, the very foundation of Christianity. Claiming that God substituted some other man in Jesus’ place on the cross makes Him the author of the biggest hoax in history, with the disciples as first victims. Many of the disciples (and others) who were whole heartedly convinced that God had raised Jesus from the dead, and therefore laid down their lives preaching Christ crucified, died for what amounted to a horrendous act of subterfuge on God’s part.
If the death and resurrection of Christ were not true, the entire Christian movement is based on a lie. Fortunately this is not the case. [See Section on The Resurrection]
Islam on The Return of Jesus
Islamic texts also unambiguously teach that Jesus will, at the end of the world, descend somewhere in the Middle East and embark in a war against the Dajjal (the Antichrist or “false messiah”) and his followers, whom he will defeat and kill. Jesus will then lead the whole world to embrace Islam. He will marry and have children, but die after 40 years and be buried in Medina.
Yale’s Reconciliation Program
The stated goal of Yale’s Reconciliation Program is to
“promote reconciliation between Muslims and Christians and between Muslim nations and the West, drawing on the resources of the Abrahamic faiths and the teachings and person of Jesus” .
Abrahamic faith? We have just quoted two passages from the Qur’an that unambiguously state that Abraham was a Muslim. [All Emphasis Added]
Abraham was neither a Jew nor Christian but was a Muslim separate from every falsehood and was not of the polytheists. “Abraham was indeed a paragon of virtue, obedient to ALLAH, ever inclined to HIM, and he was not of those who set up equals with ALLAH; Ever grateful for HIS favours: HE chose him and guided him to a straight path. And WE bestowed on him good in this world, and in the Hereafter he will surely be among the righteous. And now WE have sent revelation to thee, enjoining, ‘Follow the way of Abraham who was ever inclined to ALLAH and was not of those who set up equals to HIM.'” [Surah 16:121-124]
Yale’s Three Out Of Context Quotes
The first thing that the reader sees, at the very top of Yale’s Reconciliation Program page , are three quotations… one from the Qur’an, one from the New Testament, and the third from the Torah
Bring about reconciliation between your brothers, and fear God, that you may receive mercy. – Qur’an, Surah al-Hujurat (49):10 In Christ, God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. – New Testament, 2 Corinthians 5:19 You shall not take vengeance nor bear any grudge against any of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself. – Torah, Leviticus 19:18
In this day of great apostasy Christians are going out of their way to produce “proof-texts” to support whatever it is they want to believe, and want others to believe. The verses above from both the Qur’an and The New Testament have been cherry picked for people who are content being spoon fed, regardless of what is being shoved down their throats, and will never take the time or trouble do any checking for themselves…
- [A Note On Context] No Biblical author simply strung together a number of lofty sounding phrases, which means the reader can not pick out a verse in isolation, but can only be properly informed by God’s Word the way it is written… in its context. This means that virtually all verses in the Bible can only be fully understood and assessed as part of the surrounding verses, which form the setting, or the big picture.
The reader needs to try to get an understanding of what the author meant by the words he wrote, and what the overall message of the chapter is intended to convey. This means you should ignore the verse numbers and read at least a paragraph, if not the whole chapter… perhaps several times. This will almost always result in the discovery of a very clear theme and distinct message running through the chapter.
But, since this takes a little more time, study and effort, most Christians are content with allowing a verse to be wrested from it’s context, and used to convey whatever meaning the speaker/author wishes it to convey which, all too often, is nothing but a corruption of the truth. This perversion of Scriptures is done in order to persuade men that everything the false teacher says is based on Biblical truth. [See Context Is Crucial]
The passages quoted from both the Old and New Testament have been taken completely out of context, as is the quote from the Qur’an …
Contrasting The Qur’an & The Bible
The verses quoted from the Qur’an do not say what the eminent “scholars” at Yale have tried to make it say. If you read the surrounding Qur’anic verses in their entirety, it becomes crystal clear that the passage does not refer to making peace with Christians, but with fellow Muslims. Read it for yourself [All Emphasis added]
- And if two groups of the Muslims fight each other, then make peace between them, but if one of them commits excessiveness against the other, then fight the one that has committed excessiveness till it reverts to the command of Allah. Then if it reverts rectify between them with justice and do justice. Verily Allah loves the equitable.
Muslims are brothers, therefore make peace between the two brothers and fear Allah that the mercy may be shown to you (Qur’an, Surah al-Hujurat :9-10).
The Old Testament
Do not just read the love your neighbor part, but read the entire verse very carefully, paying attention to the words in bold, added for emphasis. …”You shall not take vengeance nor bear any grudge against any of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself” [Leviticus 19:18].
The word translated people is the Hebrew ‘am, which means a people (as a congregated unit); specifically a tribe (as those of Israel). While this word has been used figuratively for men in general, chapter 17, 18 and 19 of Leviticus are devoted to internal laws and regulations, which the people were beholden to keep.
Am I saying that we, as Christians, are not obliged to live peacefully with all men and do good even to those who do not believe in Jesus and may even be hostile to Him [See section above… Representing Jesus in a Non-Christian Society]
However it has to be said that although the Bible does instruct Christians to “Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord” [Hebrews 12:14], God also recognizes that it is not always possible to be at peace with everyone.. Paul said [All Emphasis added]
- If it be possible, as much as in you lieth, be at peace with all men. [Romans 12:18]
Evidence that the instructions given in Leviticus 19:18 were largely meant to be internal directives, is found in the fact that these commands were prescribed before (See Leviticus 18:3) the Israelites invaded the land of Canaan sparing neither man nor beast.. there was little question of loving their pagan neighbours in the Canaanite invasion and many other situations that followed. [See Joshua’s Conquest: Was It Justified?].
- After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do; neither shall ye walk in their statutes. [Leviticus 18:3]
The New Testament:
Besides which, the verse quoted from the New Testament is not a call to reconciliation with people of other faiths. Lets read 2 Corinthians 5:19 in context.
-  But all things are of God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and gave unto us the ministry of reconciliation;  to wit, that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto himself, not reckoning unto them their trespasses, and having committed unto us the word of reconciliation.  We are ambassadors therefore on behalf of Christ, as though God were entreating by us: we beseech you on behalf of Christ, be ye reconciled to God. [2 Corinthians 5:18-20]
In these verses, Paul compresses the substance of the whole plan of redemption into a single sentence… Man is only reconciled to God by acknowledging his sin and trusting in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of his sins and the gift of eternal life. It is these people, who know and trust God, who are given the privilege and responsibility of proclaiming the gospel, which is an appeal to sinners to be reconciled to God by repenting of their sins and accepting God’s love and mercy through His gift of Jesus, His Son.
To use this verse as a ‘proof text’ for “reconciliation” between Muslims and Christians is preposterous at the very least.
Note that The World Evangelical Alliance Peace and Reconciliation Initiative (WEAPRI), a network representing over 420 million Evangelicals around the world invited Dr. Rick Love “to be part of a new Peacemaking Initiative they were starting”. . The web site of WEA says they have
- “been established in order to respond to the extraordinary opportunity that 420 million evangelicals have, to reach out to the world as Peace-makers through the Church and Christian community internationally…
And (here we go again with the out of context quotes)
- WEAPRI is in the early formative stages of building a viable coalition tasked with serving the Church in realizing it’s mandate of the Ministry of Reconciliation – 2 Corinthians 5:18. .
But this has already been dealt with, so on to the next tidbit…
Asking Forgiveness of The “All-Merciful One”
In their A Christian Response to A Common Word Between Us and You, the Yale site says
- Before we “shake your hand” in responding to your letter, we ask forgiveness of the All-Merciful One and of the Muslim community around the world. 
Note that in Islam the “All-Merciful One” is one of the key names for Allah and is used at the beginning of every chapter of the Qur’an, bar one. Asking forgiveness of the All-Merciful One is asking forgiveness from Allah, and that has to be about the lowest thing any Christian can do since, in spite of all the rhetoric, Allah of the Qur’an has absolutely no connection with the God of the Bible. It is breaking faith with God who dies for us and an act of utter betrayal.
No doubt, we can draw up a long list of shameful actions by Christians, perpetrated in the name of the Messiah. However measured by the standards of the New Testament and by the teachings and actions of Jesus Himself, such actions cannot be deemed truly Christian! The same can not be said of Islam. [See Jihad In Islam: Is Islam Peaceful Or Militant?]
In the here and now, where is the apology for the random and devastating acts of terrorism? Where is the apology for the Islamic leaders who openly speak of their belief in Jihad, and their hatred of the Jews and Christians? Besides which, have you ever noticed that Christians in Islamic countries do not have the same freedom Muslims have in the west. On the contrary they are persecuted for their faith, often denied safe access to a church etc.
Perhaps the first order of business should have been a letter sent to the leaders of Iran, Saudi Arabia and numerous other repressive Muslim countries.
The “Prophet” Muhammad:
Not only does the Yale response written by so called Christians ask forgiveness from “The All-Merciful One”, but thrice refers to Muhammad as “the Prophet Muhammad”. Muhammad was no prophet. [See Islam and Christianity.. The Same Divine Origin? above]
Endangering Our Eternal Souls
And a little further down, the letter from Yale goes on to say…
- The future of the world depends on our ability as Christians and Muslims to live together in peace. If we fail to make every effort to make peace and come together in harmony you correctly remind us that “our eternal souls” are at stake as well.
We are persuaded that our next step should be for our leaders at every level to meet together and begin the earnest work of determining how God would have us fulfill the requirement that we love God and one another. It is with humility and hope that we receive your generous letter, and we commit ourselves to labor together in heart, soul, mind and strength for the objectives you so appropriately propose. 
Now what was I under the impression that “our eternal souls” are saved through faith in Jesus Christ and that coming together in harmony with people of other religions isn’t exactly a factor. As noted above, the Bible does instruct Christians to
- Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord: [Hebrews 12:14]
Although no one will see God without holiness, the Bible does recognize that it is not always possible to be at peace with everyone.. Paul said [All Emphasis added]
- If it be possible, as much as in you lieth, be at peace with all men. [Romans 12:18]
God… The Christian God or the Islamic god?
The final paragraph of the letter says
- We are persuaded that our next step should be for our leaders at every level to meet together and begin the earnest work of determining how God would have us fulfill the requirement that we love God and one another.
In the above statements, both Christians and Muslims are urged to meet together and determine “how God would have us fulfill the requirement that we love God and one another.”….. Once again the Christian God is equated with the Islamic “god”. And once again we will categorically state that is NO correlation between the Christian God and the Islamic god. Islam rejects Jesus as the only begotten Son of God and the Qur’an says that Allah himself will fight against those who say Christ is the Son of God.
Words fail to adequately express the degraded depths to which the so-called church has fallen. with the leaders constantly and consistently betraying the one they call Lord in their efforts to show how “loving” and “peaceful” they are.
However they may not be betraying only God, but God and Country. Why do I say this? Read on…
Yale’s Interfaith Conference
.. In The Name of our One God
One response that Yale University made to “A Common Word” was to organize a Christian/Muslim eight-day (July 24-July 31st 2008) conference at Yale University which, according to their web site, “drew scores of prominent Muslim and Christian leaders from around the world ended with a unanimously accepted declaration for mutual respect, understanding, and further interfaith discussions”.
While Senator John Kerry (D-MA) opened the four-day public portion of the conference (no surprises here), the event was co-hosted by Yale Divinity School professor Miroslav Volf who told about 150 participants on the final day of the conference…[Emphasis Added]
- “Let us learn to love each other. Let us learn to love all neighbors. And let us do that in the name of our common future and in the name of our one God,”
However what is interesting is the three photographs of the conference on THIS page. The first one is of three men attending the conference… Dr. Naim Ternava, Grand Mufti of Kosovo; Shaykh Al-Habib Ali Zain Al-abidin Al- Jifri of The Tabah Foundation and Prince Ghazi Muhammad Bin Talal of Jordan.
I have not done any research on Prince Ghazi Muhammad Bin Talal of Jordan, and all I know about Ali Zain al-Abidin is that he is Founder and Director of the Tabah Foundation in Abu Dhabi, and a contributer to the formulation of the ‘Declaration by Muslim Religious Leaders’ which was issued on behalf of Muslim Religious Leaders by some 42 scholars in reply to the controversial cartoons of Muhammad in a variety of humorous or satirical situations, which were first published in September 2005 in Jyllands-Posten, a Danish Newspaper. 
However, the third man in the first photograph is an entirely different matter…
Dr. Naim Ternava, Grand Mufti of Kosovo
According to a July 2010 article on the weeklystandard.com about Naim Ternava, the main Muslim leader in Kosovo [Emphasis Added]
- Ternava, who bears the title of “mufti” or president of the local Sunni Muslim apparatus, had said nothing about increasing intra- and inter-religious conflicts among Kosovar Albanians over the past year and a half. These incidents included attacks by Wahhabi infiltrators on moderate Muslim clerics for whose safety Ternava is ostensibly responsible, and threats to Christians, as well as actions by local villagers to curb Wahhabi agitation.
However Ternava has been brought out of a “pattern of silence about the penetration of radical Islam in that country”. This was precipitated by the Kosovo Republic’s official stance against girls wearing the Muslim headscarf (hijab) in state-supported primary and secondary schools. The article goes on to say [All Emphasis Added]
- As the republic’s top Muslim leader, Ternava seems to have chosen the headscarf controversy as the appropriate opportunity to go public with his own sympathy for radical Islam. His leanings in this direction have been a subject of private complaint for years. For most Kosovars, this bias explained his refusal to defend victims of Islamist thugs as well as his failure to support local Muslims who sought to keep radicals out of their mosques.
During visits to the U.S., however, Ternava has spoken as a seemingly-faultless moderate. 
However, it is interesting to note that Dr. Naim Ternava is a Sunni Muslim leader. Sahih Muslim which, in Sunni Islam, is considered one of the six major collections of the Hadith (oral traditions about Muhammad’s words and deeds) and second in authenticity only to Sahih Al-Bukhari, says [All Emphasis Added]
- …A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim. He neither oppresses him nor humiliates him nor looks down upon him. The piety is here, (and while saying so) he pointed towards his chest thrice. It is a serious evil for a Muslim that he should look down upon his brother Muslim. All things of a Muslim are inviolable for his brother in faith; his blood, his wealth and his honor. Sahih Muslim Book 31, Number 6219.
The second photograph on the Yale site shows a number of Christian and Muslim, and one Jewish leader seated together at a conference table. [A similar picture is prominently displayed on Dr. Rick Love’s web site HERE. Seated in the middle and apparently reading from a piece of paper is…
Muzammil Siddiqi Prominent Muslim in America
one of the most prominent Muslim leaders in America, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi has received the Humanitarian of the Year Award from theNational Council of Christians and Jews in US. Was invited by President George Bush to lead a Muslim Prayer at the Interfaith Prayer Service at Washington National Cathedral in September 2001. In November 2005 Dr. Siddiqi was recognized by Orange County Register as one of the 100 people who shaped Orange County in the last twenty-five years. Additionally, The LA Times recognized Dr. Siddiqi as one of the top 100 most influential people in Southern California in August 2006 [20a].
He also served two terms (1997-2001) as President of the Islamic Society of North America. His biography on the ISNA site says, in part.
- Because of his devotion to the preservation of Islam in America, he has organized numerous training programs for Muslim adults and youth. He also lectures on Islam and interfaith dialogue in North America and abroad. [20b]
However, in an article entitled Apologists or Extremists, the Investigative Project on Terrorism (IPT), a non-profit research group, quoted an Oct. 18, 1996 issue of the newspaper Pakistan Link, in which Siddiqi wrote an article in which he responded to reader questions…On the subject of the political participation of Muslims in a non-Islamic state, he said: [All Emphasis Added]
- It is true that Islam stands for the sovereignty of Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala and Allah’s rules are not limited to the acts of worship, they also include social, economic and political matters. By participating in a non-Islamic system, one cannot rule by that which Allah has commanded. But things do not change overnight. Changes come through patience, wisdom and hard work.
I believe that as Muslims we should participate in the system to safeguard our interest and try to bring gradual change for the right cause, the cause of truth and justice. We must not forget that Allah’s rules have to be established in all lands, and all our efforts should lead to that direction. 
At the Jerusalem Day Rally in Washington DC, October 28, 2000, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi endorsed Palestinian terrorists’ absolutist claim to Jerusalem – denying any Christian or Jewish claim to the city – and then warned America about the wrath of God:
- The land of Aqsa, the land of Jerusalem, is the land that belongs to Muslims. And al-Aqsa, my brothers and sisters, is our sacred mosque. It belongs to Islam. It belongs to all the Muslims of the world, 1.5 billion Muslims of the world, it belongs to them. We cannot accept any type to the al-Aqsa mosque. We cannot give up Jerusalem. Jerusalem belongs to Islam.
America has to learn that because if you remain on the side of injustice, the wrath of God will come. Please! Please all Americans, do you remember that, that Allah is watching everyone. God is watching everyone. If you continue doing injustice, and tolerating injustice, the wrath of God will come. 
The Blind Sheikh…Omar Abdel Rahman
Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman was the spiritual leader of the al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya, a radical Egyptian Islamic group and had links to al-Qaeda. According to the NewYorker.com… [All Emphasis Added]
- In December, 1992, Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, a prominent Egyptian cleric and Islamic radical also known as the Blind Sheikh, visited the Islamic Society to lecture about jihad, and Siddiqi sat beside him to translate. Abdel Rahman dismissed nonviolent definitions of jihad as weak. He stressed that a number of unspecified enemies had “united themselves against Muslims” and that fighting them was obligatory. “If you are not going to the jihad, then you are neglecting the rules of Allah,” he said. 
In an Arabic radio broadcast in 1993, Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman said
- “Americans are descendants of apes and pigs who have been feeding from the dining tables of the Zionists, Communism, and colonialism.”
A few short months later Abdel Rahman was indicted for helping to plot the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, which was an obvious target considering Rahemn had long been advocating the “destabilization of the U.S. by violent attacks on its symbols of prestige and power”. As said by Matti Steinberg, an expert on Islamic fundamentalism at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem Abdel Rahman’s
- “long-term goal is to weaken U.S. society and to show Arab rulers that the U.S. is not an invulnerable superpower,” 
After the first World Trade Center bombing in February 1993, the FBI began to investigate Rahman and his followers more closely. With the assistance of an Egyptian informant wearing a listening device, the FBI managed to record Rahman issuing a fatwa encouraging acts of violence against US civilian targets, particularly in the New York and New Jersey metropolitan area. The most startling plan, the government charged, was to set off five bombs in 10 minutes, blowing up the United Nations, the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, the George Washington Bridge and a federal building housing the FBI.
And, are we to believe that Muzammil H. Siddiqi knew absolutely nothing of Omar Abdel Rahman’ terrorst related activities and anti American rhetoric despite the fact that he was
- “infamous throughout the Arab world for his alleged role in the assassination of Egyptian president Anwar el-Sadat” …
“he left Egypt in 1990, in the wake of a series of bloody clashes between his militant fundamentalist group, Al Gamaat al Islamia, and the secular Egyptian government” …
and he then “traveled to Pakistan, where he met with representatives of the Afghan mujahedeen, who were providing training for his underground terrorist group in Egypt”. 
In fact, just four months before the bombing of theWorld Trade Center, Egyptian intelligence officials warned the U.S. that the sheikh’s principal mosques in America, the El Salaam Mosque and the El Farouq Masjid Mosque in Brooklyn, were “hotbeds of terrorist activity“… and that the fiery blind Muslim preacher was plotting a new round of terrorist attacks in Egypt.
They were right on both counts. On November 12th 1992, just about one month before the attack on the World Trade Center, a terrorist hit squad linked to Abdel Rahman machine-gunned a busload of Western tourists in Egypt, injuring five Germans.
And the Blind Sheikh’s primary mosques were indeed hotbeds of terrorist activity.
Sheikh Abdullah Azzam, a charismatic Palestinian preacher from a small village near the northern West Bank town of Jenin, and one of the CIA’s “allies-of-the-moment”, frequently travelled to lecture in the New York area largely to same mosques frequented by Rahman. In 1988, Sheikh Abdullah Azzam told a rapt crowd of several hundred in Jersey City…
- ‘Blood and martyrdom are the only way to create a Muslim society…However, humanity won’t allow us to achieve this objective, because all humanity is the enemy of every Muslim.’ 
He then called for a revolution against ‘earthly regimes,’ and said he ‘wanted to ignite the spark that may one day burn Western interests all over the world.’
Sheikh Abdullah Azzam was accompanied on his US lecture tours by El-Sayyid Nosair a follower of Abdel Rahman who was as a co-conspirator of Rahman in the bombing of the World Trade Center. El Sayyid Nosair was also linked to the assassination of Israeli nationalist Rabbi Meir Kahane, founder of the Jewish Defense League. He was subsequently acquitted of murder but convicted on gun possession charges. Justice Alvin Schlesinger said the jury’s decision to acquit the immigrant, El Sayyid A. Nosair, of murder last month “was against the overwhelming weight of evidence and was devoid of common sense and logic.” 
Nosair later stood trial as a co-conspirator of Rahman in the bombing of the World Trade Center, and received a life plus 15 years sentence.
The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)
Remember that Muzammil Siddiqi was president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) from 1997 – 2001.
Although The Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) has been “embraced warmly by the Obama administration as a contact point for the American Muslim community”, Steve Emerson [Who?] author of the bestselling “American Jihad: The terrorists Living Among Us,” dedicated an entire section of his book to ISNA as a supporter of militant Islamic groups. He says that ISNA’s popular annual conventions, attended by thousands of Muslims, serve as gathering places for some Islamic extremists to raise money and share ideas. [All Emphasis Added]
- “I think ISNA has been an umbrella, also a promoter of groups that have been involved in terrorism,” Emerson told Eyewitness News. “I am not going to accuse ISNA of being directly involved in terrorism. I will say ISNA has sponsored extremists, racists, people who call for Jihad against the United States.”
In fact, we found about a dozen charities, organizations or individuals under federal scrutiny for possible ties to terrorism that are linked in some way to ISNA – ties sources tell us have also placed ISNA under the federal microscope.
There have been accusations that the ISNA serves as a front for the spread of the extreme fundamentalist Wahhabi brand of Islam in the United States, having received large donations from Saudi Arabia in the past. 
Note: Wahhabism, which seems to have invaded many mosques in the US, is a puritanical and intolerant movement connected with Saudi Arabia. But more on that later.
ISNA, Hamas and The Holy Land Foundation:
ISNA has provided convention booth space and helped raise money for a number of Islamic charities later linked to terrorism by the federal government – groups like the Holy Land Foundation, which the U.S. government accuses of funneling dollars to support suicide bombings carried out by the militant group Hamas. In the words of the US Department of The Treasury..
- The Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development (HLF) was designated under Executive Orders 13224 and 12947 as a charity that provided millions of dollars of material and logistical support to HAMAS. In the year 2000 alone, HLF raised over $13 million… HLF funds were used by HAMAS to support schools that served HAMAS ends by encouraging children to become suicide bombers and to recruit suicide bombers by offering support to their families. HLF and several of its directors were indicted on criminal charges in July 2004. 
Hamas leader Mousa Marzook (Musa Abu Marzuq), who was named a Specially Designated Terrorist by the Treasury Department in 1995, was deported from the U.S. in 1997, thanked ISNA in an open letter of appreciation for support of his legal defense fund.
- During his tenure in the US, he created an extensive network to support HAMAS’ terrorist activities. In addition to serving on the board of directors of the Islamic Association for Palestine, which courts have found “desired to help HAMAS activities succeed” and acted on that desire, he also founded a think-tank called the United Association for Studies and Research (UASR). Marzook also provided the Holy Land Foundation (HLF), with $210,000 in initial funding; 
The Investigative Project on Terrorism also points to various articles in Islamic Horizons, ISNA’s bi-monthly magazine [Emphasis Added]
- “ISNA’s magazine, Islamic Horizons, wrote about Marzook’s case in its November/December 1995 in an article entitled “Muslim Leader Hostage to Israeli Interests.” [SEE]. The article described Marzook as “[a] member of the political wing of Hamas, disliked by the Zionist entity for its Islamic orientation, continues to be held hostage in the U.S. at the whims of his Zionist accusers.” It concludes with a solicitation for donations to Marzook’s legal defense fund”. 
Musa Abu Marzouq now operates as the deputy head of Hamas’ political bureau at the organisation’s headquarters in Damascus.
ISNA and Hassan al-Banna, Hassan al-Turabi and Yusuf al-Qaradawi[Emphasis Added]
Noting once again that Islamic Horizons is the bi-monthly publication of the Islamic Society of North America.
- Other Islamic Horizons issues devoted articles to Muslim Brotherhood luminaries and even a cover story to Muslim Brotherhoodfounder Hassan al-Banna. The cover caption of the March/April 1999 issue reads “Hassan al-Banna–A Martyr of Our Times.” Islamic Horizons also publishes articles by key Brotherhood figures such as Yusuf al-Qaradawi and Hassan al-Turabi. In an interview published in the March/April 2001 edition of Islamic Horizons, Turabi stated, “I do not think that it is only a dream, but there is a possibility not only for America to be Islamized, but also in fact to develop as the role model of Islam.” 
In January 1998, the Associated Press quoted al-Qaradawi as writing,
- “There should be no dialogue with these people [Israelis] except with swords.”.
In April 2001, commenting on suicide bombings, he said, “They are not suicide operations… These are heroic martyrdom operations.”.
Criticizing religious rulings against suicide bombings, al-Qaradawi stated, “I am astonished that some sheikhs deliver fatwas that betray the mujahideen, instead of supporting them and urging them to sacrifice and martyrdom.”. Regarding one of these fatwas issued by the imam of Mecca’s Grand Mosque, al-Qaradawi said, “It is unfortunate to hear that the grand imam has said it was not permissible to kill civilians in any country or state, even in Israel.” 
ISNA and Qazi Hussein Ahmad:
Qazi Hussein Ahmad was featured at ISNA’s 35th annual Canadian convention held in St. Louis in 1998. He was again scheduled to speak on the topic of “Religious Extremism: Fact or Fiction” at their seventh session on May 24, 2008. Scroll about halfway down THIS page to see the conference flier.
- Note that both the American and Canadian divisions are headed up by Ingrid Mattson.
As reported by journalist Patrick Poole [All Emphasis Added]
- Qazi Hussein Ahmad has been banned from more than 25 countries across Europe and the Middle East for the activities of the Pakistani Jamaat-e-Islami (JEI) organization that he heads. Terrorism analysts around the world have noted JEI’s close ties to al-Qaeda, and Qazi has publicly defended Osama bin Laden, admitting to meeting with him on several occasions and claiming that no definitive proof exists of bin Laden’s involvement in the 9/11 attacks. In an October 2002 interview with Der Speigel Qazi went so far as to deny al-Qaeda’s existence altogether and defended his group’s support of the Taliban, saying that “they were just and honorable men, who brought peace to Afghanistan.
Just days before his appearance in Toronto at the ISNA-Canada conference, Qazi had been in Tehran as the keynote speaker at a three-day “Muslim Unity Conference” sponsored by the Iranian regime and presided over by former Iranian President Rafsanjani.
According to a press release issued by JEI, Qazi called on the Muslim ummah to unite against America and oppose the war on terror, hailing Iran’s “spirit to fight to the death” against the U.S.
Qazi condemned the American threats being hurled against Pakistan and Iran, and said the unity of the Iranian nation and their spirit to fight till death against the colonists has actually become a symbol of Iran’s security, sovereignty, and independence, which should serve as a guiding principle for the whole Muslim world.” 
Qazi was eventually denied a visa as a result of the public outcry and political pressure, preventing him from speaking at the ISNA conference.
Besides which, literature available at ISNA’s annual convention in as recently as July 2009 in Washington tells a different story…
- Books and pamphlets obtained by the Investigative Project on Terrorism from ISNA’s July national convention feature numerous attempts to portray U.S. prosecution of terrorists and terror supporters as anti-Muslim bigotry; dramatic revisionist history that denied attacks by Arab nations and Palestinian terrorists against Israel; anti-Semitic tracts and hyperbolic rants about a genocide and holocaust of Palestinians.. 
Roots in the Muslim Brotherhood
And as the Investigative Project on Terrorism reports.. The Islamic Society of North America’s (ISNA) roots in the Muslim Brotherhood(below) have been strengthened by newly declassified FBI memos …
Muslim Brotherhood in America: The Overview
- ISNA officials assert that the organization is a voice of moderation in the American Muslim community, actively courting outreach and dialogue with government officials and leaders of other religions. ISNA President Ingrid Mattson was among the organization’s representatives at last week’s international interfaith conference in Madrid. As the IPT reported last week, conference organizerAbdullah al-Turki is alleged in civil lawsuits to have ties to a senior Al Qaeda financier and has openly justified Palestinian suicide bombings. 
Sami Al-Arian:Incidentally an April 17, 2006 Department of Justice document states that Sami Al-Arian, co-founder of ISNA and Former University of South Florida professor
- has pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiring to provide services to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ), a specially designated terrorist organization, in violation of U.S. law… 
Al Arian, according to the Department of Justice, was connected through Islamic Jihad with as many as one hundred deaths, including two those of Americans. At his sentencing, U.S. District Judge James Moody gave Al Arian the maximum 57 months to be followed by deportation, calling the terrorism facilitator a “master manipulator”, whose “only connection to widows and orphans is that you create them.” 
The Muslim Brotherhood
According to an article in the Chicago Tribune The Muslim Brotherhood is the
- “largest Islamic extremist organization in the world, with chapters in more than 70 countries worldwide. An exposé of the organization in the United States published in 2004 by the Chicago Tribune chronicled the history and growth of the group, noting that the Brotherhood preaches that “religion and politics cannot be separated and that governments eventually should be Islamic. The group also champions martyrdom and jihad, or holy war, as a means of self-defense and has provided the philosophical underpinnings for Muslim militants worldwide”. 
The Washington Post reported that
- The Brotherhood has been connected to many Islamic extremists worldwide. Two Egyptian Brotherhood members went on to found split-off terrorist groups: Ayman Zawahiri, now Osama bin Laden’s deputy, and blind Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, who was convicted in 1995 of plotting to blow up New York landmarks. 
The Fiqh Council of North America and Dr. Salah Sultan
Siddiqi is also chairman of The Fiqh Council of North America, which [Emphasis Added]
- “traces its origins back to the Religious Affairs Committee of the then Muslim Students Association of the United States and Canada in the early 1960s”. It “continues to be an affiliate of ISNA, advising and educating its members and officials on matters related to the application of Shariah in their individual and collective lives in the North American environment”. 
According to IslamOnline.net, Dr. Salah Sultan is also a member of The Fiqh Council of North America, and has been so since 1999. (He was also on the Board of directors of Islamic American University from 1999 to 2003 and a member of The European Council for Fatwa and Research from 2000-present).  He is also connected with The Noor Islamic Cultural Center [See Photograph]
The problem is not only has Dr. Salah Sultan has been photographed with men designated as terrorist leaders by the U.S. government, but Fox News said he frequently hosts “extremist speakers” who have allegedly made statements supporting violence and terrorism.
Dr. Sultan no longer lives in the US, but has relocated to Bahrain. His US citizenship application has been denied, but he apparently has not been banned from reentering the US, in spite of a long history of anti-American anti-Semitic rhetoric. In early 2009 he appeared on Egypt’s Al-Nas TV and delivered a warning of death and destruction for America. He attacked the U.S. for its military support of Israel in its fight against the Hamas terrorist organization, and warned that more Americans would be killed than all the Palestinians killed in the Gaza conflict, emphasizing that this would take place “soon”: HERE
Also See CBN News video, “Jihad in Central Ohio”
The North American Islamic Trust (NAIT)
Muzammil Siddiqi is also chairman of an organization called The North American Islamic Trust (NAIT), that along with board member Jamal Said, was named as an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holy Land Foundation terrorist trial, in 2007. Yet, title to about one in four mosques in the US are held by NAIT, which amounts to over 320 properties of the 1,209 mosques in the US
- NAIT holds titles to mosques, Islamic centers, schools, and other real estate to safeguard and pool the assets of the American Muslim community NAIT holds titles of approximately 300 properties. NAIT does not administer these institutions or interfere in their daily management, but is available to support and advise them regarding their operation in conformity with the Shari’ah. 
NAIT and Wahhabism:
Dore Gold, former Israeli Ambassador to the U.N. and internationally known Middle East expert, uses previously unpublished intelligence documents to piece together the links between the current wave of global terrorism-from the World Trade Center to Bali, Indonesia-and the ideology of hatred taught in the schools and mosques of Saudi Arabia. On pages 148–49 of his book Hatred’s kingdom: how Saudi Arabia supports the new global terrorism [Regnery Publishing, 2004], Gold says that as
- NAIT has helped US communities build mosques, NAIT in turn has been dependent on Saudi funding and that NAIT’s book service promotes the writings of the founder of Wahhabism, Muhammad ibn Abd-al-Wahhab, NAIT also “distributes the works of Sayyid Qutb and Maulana Abul A’la Mawdudi”
In other words NAIT is funded by Saudi Arabia in order to spread Wahhabism, the conservative fundamentalist Saudi Arabian version of Islam compatible with the ideology of the Muslim Brotherhood that views other versions as heretical, in the US. According to a September 30, 2002, Newsweek report,”
- NAIT money has helped the Saudi Arabian sect of Wahhabism–or Salafism, as the broader, pan-Islamic movement is called–to seize control of hundreds of mosques in the U.S. Muslim communities.” 
The mosques built through NAIT often require continued maintenance support from NAIT, which keeps title to the mosques, often appoints individuals to the mosques’ boards of directors, appoints the mosque’s imam (who is often Wahhabi), supplies free Wahhabi literature, and brings promising candidates to Saudi Arabia for additional indoctrination before sending them back to the US. [Confronting terrorism financing, p. 40, American Foreign Policy Council, University Press of America, 2005].
Among the recently declassified FBI memos, NAIT activities are described thus:
- Their support of JIHAD (a holy war) in the U.S. has been evidenced by the financial and organizational support provided through NAIT from Middle East countries to Muslims residing in the U.S. and Canada. The organizational support provided by NAIT includes planning, organizing and funding anti-U.S. and anti-Israel demonstrations, pro-PLO demonstrations and the distribution of political propaganda against U.S. policies in the Middle East and in support of the Islamic Revolution as advocated by the (Government of Iran). 
The third photograph is of another attendee at the Conference Dr. Ingrid Mattson Mattson, is a former member of the NAIT board of directors, who has radical views on a number of subjects, including Wahhabism.
Is not just any ex-Catholic convert to Islam, but is Professor of Islamic Studies and Director of Islamic Chaplaincy at the Macdonald Center for Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations at Hartford Seminary in Hartford, CT. Even more interesting is the fact that Ingrid Mattson is a former member of the NAIT board of directors  and the first and only elected female president of the Islamic Society of North America.
Completely ignoring Mattson’s radical views on a number of subjects, not only did the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver give her center stage at their opening interfaith prayer service but, as part of the inaugural festivities for President Barack Obama, she participated in a prayer service at Washington’s National Cathedral on January 21, 2009. In the words of The Investigative Project on Terrorism… [Who?]
- “… Mattson’s refusal to acknowledge the existence of radical Islamists in the United States, and her avoidance of criticism of international terrorists, is very troubling. She will sound a note of moderation to the public, as she has assiduously done for years, while secretly harboring and championing a radical agenda that supports Wahhabism, supports terrorists, denies the existence of Islamic extremism and blames the West for the rise of terrorists like Osama bin Laden. 
As said by William F. Jasper, Senior Editor for The New American magazine. [Who?]
- According to her many defenders, she is the voice of moderate Islam in America. According to her critics, she is the voice and face of “stealth jihad” or “soft jihad” in America, perpetrating a deceptive ruse of false moderation that uses ballots instead of bullets, words instead of bombs – but aimed at the same ultimate objective: the defeat and gradual Islamification of America. 
Here are a few of Ingrid Mattson’s views expressed over the last few years.
At an October 2001 open forum sponsored by CNN, Mattson was asked by a participant if it were true that Wahhabism is an extremely right wing sect founded and funded by the Saudi royal family, to which she responded [Emphasis Added]
- No it’s not true to characterize ‘Wahhabism’ that way. This is not a sect. It is the name of a reform movement that began 200 years ago to rid Islamic societies of cultural practices and rigid interpretation that had acquired over the centuries. It really was analogous to the European protestant reformation. Because the Wahhabi scholars became integrated into the Saudi state, there has been some difficulty keeping that particular interpretation of religion from being enforced too broadly on the population as a whole. However, the Saudi scholars who are Wahhabi have denounced terrorism and denounced in particular the acts of September 11. Those statements are available publicly.
This question has arisen because last week there were a number of newspaper reports that were dealing with this. They raised the issue of the role of Saudi Arabia and the ideology there. Frankly, I think in a way it was a reaction to the attempts of many people to look for the roots of terrorism in misguided foreign policy. It’s not helpful, I believe, to create another broad category that becomes the scapegoat for terrorism. 
The Pen Vs. The Sword:
However saying that Wahhabism as a movement was analogous to the European protestant reformation is ludicrous in the extreme. Martin Luther sparked the reformation with his pen, ending the almost total domination of the Catholic church with it’s bloated bureaucracy, arrogance, and skewed views of salvation. People realized they did not need this corrupt and greedy organization to save them, and Christianity began to be restored to Biblical guidelines. It was the printing press, not the sword, that allowed Luther’s message to spread so rapidly.
Wahhabism, on the other hand, gave Mohammed ibn Saud, an ambitious local chieftain a religious reason to slaughter thousands of other Muslims…Shiites, Sunnis and Sufis turning most of the Arabian peninsula into a “Wahhabi theocracy”.
And not a lot has changed over the years. Hillel Fradkin, an Islamic scholar who heads the neo-conservative Center for Ethics and Public Policy in Washington,
- “it’s increasingly hard to distinguish Wahhabism from radicalized Islam.” 
Critics call Wahhabism puritanical and intolerant. Many religious historians and sociologists see “a faith founded on rigid and deeply intolerant tenets that in principle falls somewhere short of advocating terrorism”. PBS’s analysis of Wahhabism and Saudi Arabia opens with the words…
- For more than two centuries, Wahhabism has been Saudi Arabia’s dominant faith. It is an austere form of Islam that insists on a literal interpretation of the Koran. Strict Wahhabis believe that all those who don’t practice their form of Islam are heathens and enemies. Critics say that Wahhabism’s rigidity has led it to misinterpret and distort Islam, pointing to extremists such as Osama bin Laden and the Taliban. Wahhabism’s explosive growth began in the 1970s when Saudi charities started funding Wahhabi schools (madrassas) and mosques from Islamabad to Culver City, California. 
History of Wahhabism:
Wahhabism is named after Mohammed ibn Abd Wahhab (1703 – 1792), who “regarded anything which deviated from ultra-orthodoxinterpretations of Islam, based upon the Koran and sunna (deeds) of Mohammed, as shirk or polytheism”.  Time Magazine’s online edition dated September 2003 carried an article entitled Wahhabism: Toxic Faith? it says that Mohammed ibn Abd Wahhab …
- attempted to recover what he saw as the original, pristine state of Islam by pruning out “innovations” that had polluted its essential monotheism. Wahhab’s list of corruptions was sweeping; it included Shi’ism, the faith’s minority strain, and Sufism, its mystical tradition. He discarded most of the interpretations of Islam’s four great legal schools in favor of an exceedingly literal reading of punctilious ritual and enforcement by draconian punishment…
The new creed had no place for free will or human rights, let alone separation of mosque and state. Wahhab partook of a historically typical hostility toward Christians and Jews. But he was less focused on infidels than he was inward-looking and obsessed with orthodoxy: he wrote that jihad should be postponed until the Islamic house was in order. He was more combative regarding his brethren. Although Muslims are forbidden to wage holy war against one another, Khaled Abou El Fadl, an expert in Islamic law at Yale University, says Wahhabis “argued that Muslims guilty of [unorthodoxy] could and should be killed.”
Mohammed ibn Saud, an ambitious local chieftain of puritan leanings
- wanted ideological approval to treat the Ottomans as a foreign occupying power. Wahhabism gave him religious credibility for an armed campaign to gain stewardship of the holy cities of Mecca and Medina. The resulting full partnership–Saud granted Wahhab religious and judicial control in his lands and married his daughter–was wildly successful and memorably brutal. Slaughtering thousands of Shi’ites and Sufis (and Sunnis), the House of Saud began a journey that would turn most of the Arabian peninsula into a Wahhabi theocracy. As the Sauds gained territory, they imposed what Paul Hardy, author of Traditions of Islam, calls Wahhabism’s “radical intolerance.”
Today, notes Hillel Fradkin, an Islamic scholar who heads the neoconservative Center for Ethics and Public Policy in Washington, “it’s increasingly hard to distinguish Wahhabism from radicalized Islam.” 
The Web Site Islam-Watch is run by a group of Muslim apostates, who have voluntarily left Islam after discovering “that it is not a religion of peace at all, as touted by smooth-talking, self-serving Muslims and their apologists from non-Muslim backgrounds”.
This site carries a number of eye-opening articles, most often written by ex-Muslims. This one by Adrian Morgan, British based writer, gives us an idea of the devastating practical implications of Wahabbism within the Muslim community. Only one of Muhammad Ibn Abd al-Wahhab books, Kitab al-Tawhid (the Book of Monotheism), is still in existence today, and…
- It orders that no shrines or gravestones should be erected, lest these become places of worship. Such extreme dictates have led to destruction of Islamic historical sites. Recently a fatwa was issued by Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti, Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Abdullah Al al-Sheikh. He has ordered that Shi’ite shrines in Iraq and Damascus, which are revered by Shia Muslims as places of pilgrimage, should be destroyed. 
- Note: a fatwa is a legal pronouncement in Islam, issued by a religious law specialist on a specific issue. How seriously can these be taken? See Footnote 2 for the deaths that resulted from the fatwa against Salman Rushdie. [Who?]
Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, responsible for the carnage at Ft. Hood, seemed to practice an extreme form of Islam considering that he did not allow himself to be photographed with women. One has to wonder what he was hearing at the Muslim Community Center in Silver Spring, Md, where he regularly attended Friday prayer. Imam Faizul Khan, the main prayer leader at the mosque is on ISNA’s Board Of Directors 
Asked why the Taliban places such restriction upon women, Ingrid Mattson replied that
- The Taliban place restrictions on everyone in their society, men and women. They’ve extended their authority over individuals far beyond traditional government in Afghanistan. In their minds, they are protecting women from other men by placing these restrictions on them. 
That, I am afraid is a crock if I ever heard one. The Taliban is infamous for their brutality, the latest and well publicized story is of Bibi Aisha whose nose and ears were barbarically hacked off by her own husband as punishment for attempting to flee her cruel in-laws. And how many other cases of extreme viciousness, that will never make the cover of Time, are hidden in the barren mountains of Afghanistan?
Jews Should Be Wary of Christian Fundamentalists
Speaking at an March 2007 event sponsored by Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government and four Muslim student organizations, Mattson urged Jews be wary of Christian fundamentalists.
- “Right-wing Christians are very risky allies for American Jews,” Mattson said, “because they [the Christians] are really anti-Semitic. They do not like Jews” and enter into the alliance on the basis of fundamentalist beliefs that it would be desirable for all Jews to return to Israel. She suggested that fundamentalist Christians might turn against Jews or that there could be backlash from ordinary Americans against Jewish and fundamentalist Christian supporters of Israel. 
In an April 2007 interview with the Baltimore Sun, Mattson denied the existence of sleeper cells in the American Muslim community despite several convictions and guilty pleas since 9/11 that involved American Muslims being involved in terrorist activity. Attacking portrayals of terrorism in movies and the wider media, she said:
- “There’s a prejudgment, a collective judgment of Muslims, and a suspicion that well ‘you may appear nice, but we know there are sleeper cells of Americans,’ which of course is not true. There aren’t any sleeper cells. But they’re all over TV, and in the movies. There’s that veil of suspicion that falls over individual Muslims.”
On being a Muslim American:
Excerpted from a September 13, 2002 interview with Kim Lawton, posted on PBS.org.
- This is a very American discussion, because I hear it among my Christian and Jewish friends as well: “What are you first? Are you a Christian first or an American first? I remember reading some antislavery literature from the nineteenth century, where those Christians who were fighting slavery said that if the law of the land goes against the law of God, then we have to change the law of the land. It’s a very strong American tradition to have an ethical model, a framework by which you judge man-made laws. That doesn’t mean it’s a theocratic state, but it means that people have strongly held beliefs that they believe cannot be violated, even when implementing laws. There will always be that kind of discussion among Americans, and Muslim Americans, certainly, will be discussing the issue as well. 
Ingrid Mattson, Sayyid Qutb and Maulana Abul A’la Maududi (Mawdudi)
In her position as Professor of Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations, Ingrid Mattson taught an intensive five-day course on The Qur’an and Its Place in Muslim Life and Society in 2007. Among the readings she requires of her class a were …
- In the Shade of the Qur’an by Sayyid Qutb, and
The Meaning of the Qur’an by Syed Abu’l-Ala Mawdudi. 
The Meaning of the Qur’an is a six volume study which includes a chapter introductions for each and every Surah, explaining the name, period of revelation and a large section on its historical background. Mattson also recommended this book to Muslim students who asked her to suggest a comprehensive work of Tafseer (Qur’anic commentary) for Muslim youth.
As said before..Syed Maududi is called the greatest islamic reformer and scholar of the 20th century . According to IslamiCity, his translation and commentary on the Qur’an, “The Meaning of the Qur’an”, ranks as one of the best such works in existence today. .
So who are these two men?
Godfathers of Islamism
As said by Adrian Morgan, British based writer on the islam-watch [Who?] web site
- “Analysts and commentators on Islamism often point to two individuals as the “godfathers of Islamism” whose writing “have been influential upon senior figures in the Islamist and Al Qaeda movements”. And that “Maududi and Qutb both supported the notion that it was every Muslim’s duty to work towards the establishment of Islam on earth as a global political entity”. [Emphasis Added]
He goes on to say
- The two groups to which these ideologues had belonged, the Jamaat-e-Islami and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, maintained close links. Both groups have been involved in violence and sponsorship of terrorism. When East Pakistan seceded from West Pakistan, leading to the formation of Bangladesh, the local wing of the J-e-I, led by Motiur Rahman Nizami, supervised acts of genocide against Hindus and separatists. Three million died in Bangladesh’s war for independence. Senior figures of the Bangladesh terror group JMB (Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh), which committed suicide bombings in 2005, all had links with the Jamaat-e-Islami party. 
Sayyid Qutb was a Muslim Brotherhood luminary who was executed by the Egyptian government. His two major works, In the Shade of the Qur’an and Milestones have been heavily influential on Islamist terrorists. The 9/11 Commission Report noted that Osama bin Laden “relies heavily” on Sayyid Qutb. 
Maulana Abul A’la Maududi (Mawdudi)
Syed Abul A’ala Mawdudi, was a Sunni Pakistani journalist, theologian, Muslim revivalist leader and political philosopher, and a major 20th century Islamist thinker. He was also a prominent political figure in Pakistan and founder of Jamaat-e-Islami, the Islamic revivalist party. Maududi believed
Without Sharia Law Muslim Society Can Not Be Islamic:
- That if an Islamic society consciously resolves not to accept the Sharia, and decides to enact its own constitution and laws or borrow them from any other source in disregard of the Sharia, such a society breaks its contract with God and forfeits its right to be called ‘Islamic.'” [Islamic Law and Its Introduction, Islamic Publications, LTD, 1955. p. 13]
The Rights Of Non-Muslims Are Limited
- “Islamic ‘Jihad’ does not recognize their right to administer State affairs according to a system which, in the view of Islam, is evil. Furthermore, Islamic ‘Jihad’ also refuses to admit their right to continue with such practices under an Islamic government which fatally affect the public interest from the viewpoint of Islam.” [Jihad in Islam, Islamic Publications (Pvt.) Ltd., p.28]
Jihâd Is To Eliminate The Rule Of An Un-Islamic System
- “Islam wishes to destroy all States and Governments anywhere on the face of the earth which are opposed to the ideology and programme of Islam regardless of the country or the Nation which rules it. The purpose of Islam is to set up a State on the basis of its own ideology and programme, regardless of which Nation assumes the role of the standard bearer of Islam or the rule of which nation is undermined in the process of the establishment of an ideological Islamic State. Islam requires the earth–not just a portion, but the whole planet …. because the entire mankind should benefit from the ideology and welfare programme [of Islam] … Towards this end, Islam wishes to press into service all forces which can bring about a revolution and a composite term for the use of all these forces is ‘Jihad’. …. the objective of the Islamic ‘ Jihâd’ is to eliminate the rule of an un-Islamic system and establish in its stead an Islamic system of state rule…
It must be evident to you from this discussion that the objective of Islamic ‘Jihad’ is to eliminate the rule of an un-Islamic system and establish in its stead an Islamic system of State rule. Islam does not intend to confine this revolution to a single State or a few countries; the aim of Islam is to bring about a universal revolution.” [Jihad in Islam, Pgs.6,7,9 22]
On Critical Statements By Christians about Muslims:
Although Ingrid Mattson has no qualms endorsing the works of Abdul ala Maududi, who advocates violent jihad against non-Muslims, she is highly critical of Christians who rightly say that texts by Muslims support violent jihad against non-Muslims. Mattson equates Christiancritics of violent jihad with Osama bin Laden, who wages violent jihad.
- These kinds of statements are really irresponsible, because they can lead to violence against ordinary people. I know that because I myself have received hate mail and other letters in the wake of the statements that Franklin Graham and Jerry Vines have made. There are people who, if you give them this theological reason, will believe that their violence against ordinary people is justified.
I don’t see any difference between that and al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden [using] Islamic theology to justify violence against Americans. 
Continued in A Common Word (2) .. Do Christians and Muslims Worship the Same God? Can Muslims and Christians Be Friends? Can People Be Fooled? (The Answer is Yes ! Yes! And Yes!). A Note on Muslim “Moderates”. HERE
Footnote I.. Who They Are
Steve Emerson is best known for an award-winning documentary called “Jihad in America” that exposed militant Muslims recruiting and calling for war against Americans right here in the U.S. He has testified before Congress 19 times and is a frequently-used terrorism expert on MSNBC. [PLACE IN TEXT]
The Investigative Project on Terrorism (IPT) is a non-profit research group founded by Steven Emerson in 1995. It is recognized as the world’s most comprehensive data center on radical Islamic terrorist groups. For more than a decade, the IPT has investigated the operations, funding, activities and front groups of Islamic terrorist and extremist groups in the United States and around the world. It has become a principal source of critical evidence to a wide variety of government offices and law enforcement agencies, as well as the U.S. Congress and numerous public policy forums. Research carried out by the IPT team has formed the basis for thousands of articles and television specials on the subject of radical Islamic involvement in terrorism, and has even led to successful government action against terrorists and financiers based in the United States. [http://www.investigativeproject.org/about.php] [PLACE IN TEXT]
William F. Jasper is senior editor for The New American magazine. Their web site describes him as “A tireless researcher and investigator with high-level official contacts around the world, Mr. Jasper has a well-earned reputation as one of America’s top investigative reporters.”
[http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/staff] [PLACE IN TEXT]
Islam-Watch is run by a group of Muslim apostates, who have voluntarily left Islam after discovering “that it is not a religion of peace at all, as touted by smooth-talking, self-serving Muslims and their apologists from non-Muslim from backgrounds”. They go on to say that
- “The core of Islam–that is, the Qur’an, Hadis and Sharia–is filled with unbounded hatred for the unbelievers, unbelievably intolerant toward them and extremely cruel and merciless to Muslims, who dare to deviate from its doctrine”. [http://www.islam-watch.org/IW/aboutus.htm] [PLACE IN TEXT]
The Center for Security Policy (CSP) is a Washington D.C. think tank that focuses on national security issues. They are a non-profit, non-partisan national security organization that specializes in national security issues. CSP specializes in identifying policies, actions, and resource needs that it believes are vital to American security and then seeking to ensure that such issues are the subject of both focused examination and effective action. [http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/about_us.xml] [PLACE IN TEXT]
The Fatwa Against Salman Rushdie and The Satanic Verses
One of the first well-known fatwas was proclaimed in 1989 by the Iranian Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, against Salman Rushdie’s novel The Satanic Verses. The argument related to an ostensibly blasphemous statement from an early biography of Prophet Muhammad, regarding incorporating pagan goddesses into Islam’s strongly monotheistic structure. Khomeini died shortly after issuing the fatwa. In 1998 Iran stated that it is no longer pursuing Rushdie’s death; however the decree was again reversed in early 2005 by the present theocrat, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
In 1991, Rushdie’s Japanese translator, Hitoshi Igarashi, was stabbed and killed in Tokyo, and his Italian translator was beaten and stabbed in Milan. In 1993, Rushdie’s Norwegian publisher William Nygaard was shot and severely injured in an attack outside his house in Oslo. Thirty-seven guests died when their hotel in Sivas, Turkey was burnt down by locals protesting against Aziz Nesin, Rushdie’s Turkish translator.
In the United States, the FBI was notified of 78 threats to bookstores in early March 1989, thought to be a small proportion of the total number. Violence against bookstores occurred most often and persisted the longest in the United Kingdom. [PLACE IN TEXT]
Connect with Amos37
Stay up to date with Amos37.com eMail update (Weekly)
All URLs Accessed October 2010
 Yale Center For Faith and Culture. A Christian Response to “A Common Word Between Us and You” http://www.yale.edu/faith/acw/acw.htm
 Introduction to A Common Word Between Us. http://www.acommonword.com/
[15b] Comparing Biblical and Qur’anic Tenets. The Crucifixion In Islam And Christianity.
 Stephen Schwartz. Kosovo Headscarf Conflict Grows. July 6, 2010.
 Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, “Issues and Questions,” Pakistan Link, October 18, 1996. as quoted in Apologists or Extremists… http://www.investigativeproject.org/profile/171
 December 5, 2007. Duped Again: Interfaith Leaders Accept Fatwa Against Terrorism From Terrorist Sympathizers.
 Raffi Khatchadourian. Azzam the American.. The making of an Al Qaeda homegrown.
 Robert I. Friedman. The CIA and The Sheikh. The Agency Coddled Omar Abdel Rahman, Allowing Him to Operate in the U.S. Now This Unholy Alliance Has Blown Up in Our Faces.
 The CIA’s Jihad – New Yorker Magazine – 03/17/95.
 Judge Gives Maximum Term in Kahane Case, The New York Times, 30 January 1992.
 Stephen Brown. Polishing An Image – Islamic-Style. FrontPageMagazine.com. Friday, September 29, 2006. http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=2321
Also See http://www.wthr.com/story/1518794/images-in-conflict?nav=DqSHJ2nO&redirected=true
 ISNA, NAIT Seek to Edit History. June 19, 2008.
 Apologists or Extremists Yusuf al-Qaradawi. http://www.investigativeproject.org/profile/167
 Patrick Poole. North American Islamic Group Hosts Pakistani Terror Leader.
 Conspiracy Theories, Terror Support Found in ISNA Convention Literature. IPT News August 27, 2009.
 Steven Emerson. New Disclosures Tighten ISNA-Muslim Brotherhood Bonds. July 22, 2008.
 Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah, Sam Roe and Laurie Cohen, “A rare look at secretive Brotherhood in America,” Chicago Tribune, September 19, 2004
 John Mintz and Douglas Farah, “In search of friends among the foes,” Washington Post, September 11, 2004, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12823-2004Sep10.html
 History of the Fiqh Council. http://www.fiqhcouncil.org/AboutUs/tabid/175/Default.aspx
 Downey, Sarah, Hirsh, Michael, “A Safe Haven? Focusing on a fundamentalist strain of Islam, investigators are searching American mosques for signs of support for terror. It’s a delicate balancing act,” Newsweek, September 30, 2002
 Steven Emerson. New Disclosures Tighten ISNA-Muslim Brotherhood Bonds. July 22, 2008.
 January 20, 2009. Ingrid Mattson and the Islamic Society of North America.
 President Obama’s Militant Muslim Connections. February 2009.
 Ingrid Mattson: What is Islam? http://archives.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/10/18/mattson.cnna/
 Wahhabism: Toxic Faith? David Van Biema. September 7, 2003. http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101030915/wwahhabism.html
 Adrian Morgan. Who Is the True Godfather of Islamic Fundamentalism?
 Charles A. Radin Islamic leader urges Jews be wary of fundamentalists. March 14, 2007.