Bibliology – The Doctrine of the Bible
Section 2 – Part 1
Evidences for the Inspiration of Scripture
- What is meant by ________________________ of the scripture?
- Inspiration in English
Inspiration in the Greek What is Superintendence?
“God’s superintendence of the human authors of Scripture so that using their own individual personalities, they composed and recorded without error His revelation to man in the words of the original autographs.”
- The word “superintendence” refers to the guiding relationships God had with the human authors of Scripture guaranteeing the accuracy of what was written.
- The word “composed” shows that the writers were not simply stenographers who wrote what God dictated to them. They were actively involved using their own personalities, backgrounds, and God’s working in their lives. But again, what was composed had the superintendence of God over the material written.
- “Without error” expresses what the Bible itself claims to be true about itself.
- Though our translations of the Bible are tremendously accurate, being based on thousands of manuscript witnesses, inspiration can only be ascribed to the original autographs, not to manuscript copies or the translations based on those copies.
- Inspiration as _____________________ by scholars Benjamin B. Warfield: “Inspiration is, therefore, usually defined as a supernatural influence exerted on the sacred writers by the Spirit of God, by virtue of which their writings are given Divine trustworthiness.”
- Edward J. Young: “Inspiration is a superintendence of God the Holy Spirit over the writers of the Scriptures, as a result of which these Scriptures possess Divine authority and trustworthiness and, possessing such Divine authority and trustworthiness, are free from error.”
- Charles C. Ryrie: “God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that they composed and recorded without error His message to mankind in the words of their original writings.”
- Millard J. Erickson: “By inspiration of the Scripture we mean that supernatural influence of the Holy Spirit upon the Scripture writers which rendered their writings an accurate record of the revelation or which resulted in what they wrote actually being the Word of God.”
What are the elements necessary for inspiration to take place?
The prophetic agency
The actual text of scripture
Connect with Amos37
Stay up to date with Amos37.com eMail update (Weekly)
Free Resources for the growing Christian.
“But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen.” 2 Peter 3:18
Bible Classes College Level For Free to Enroll Track your progress.
Our Own Free Discipleship Course In Video HD.