Session 13 of 24 Are you ready for a detailed yet thoroughly enjoyable study of the most profound book ever written? Hour Thirteen: How Sure Can We Be? A Recap of the Old Testament and look at prophecies about the Messiah! pdf notes below.
Using sound scientific facts, historical analysis and biblical narrative, acclaimed teacher Dr. Chuck Missler weave together a rich tapestry of information – providing an accurate understanding of Scripture’s relation to itself, to us and to the world at large.
Examine the heroic tales of Exodus, the lasting wisdom of Proverbs or even the enigmatic imagery of Revelation with the simple, scripturally sound insights and fresh perspectives found in “Learn the Bible in 24 Hours.” Whether you want to explore some of the less-discussed nuances of Scripture or you need a comprehensive refresher course on the Bible’s themes and stories, “Learn the Bible in 24 Hours” is a great guide.
Dr. Missler combines his life-long love of Bible teaching with more than 30 successful years in the business world and distinguished military career to bring you this unique perspective for attaining Biblical knowledge. In just 24 hours you can have a rock-solid foundation for a lifetime of spiritual enrichment.
Enhance your study with the “Learn the Bible Workbook” (to be used in conjunction with the audio/multimedia materials as an aid to study).
Tour of The Bible Session 13 Video: How Sure Can We Be? A Recap of the Old Testament and look at prophecies about the Messiah!
Hour Thirteen: How Sure Can We Be?
Until we can measure a thing, we really know very little about it.
William Thomson (Lord Kelvin)
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
2 Peter 1:16
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
2 Peter 1:19
8,362 predictive verses; 1,817 predictions on 737 separate matters.
J. Barton Payne, Encyclopedia of Biblical Prophecy
The Old Testament (The Tenach)
These Hebrew Scriptures were translated into Greek by 270 B.C.
They contain over 300 prophecies detailing the Coming Messiah.
Old Testament PropheciesQuoted in the Gospels
- He was to be of David’s family (2 Sam 7:12-16; Ps 89:3- 4; 110:1;
- 132:11; Isa 9:6, 7; 11:1).
- He would be born of a virgin (Gen 3:15; Isa 7:14).
- He would be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2).
- He would sojourn in Egypt (Hos 11:1).
- He would live in Galilee (Isa 9:1, 2).
- …in Nazareth (Isa 11:1).
- To be announced by an Elijah-like herald (Isa 40:3-5; Mal 3:1; 4:5).
- Would occasion massacre of Bethlehem’s children (Gen 35:19-20;
- Jer 31:15).
- Would proclaim a Jubilee to the world (Isa 58:6; 61:1).
- His mission would include the Gentiles (Isa 42:1-4).
- Ministry would be one of healing (Isa 53:4).
- He would teach through parables (Isa 6:9-10; Ps 78:2).
- He would be disbelieved, rejected by Rulers (Ps 69:4; 118:22; Isa
- 6:10; 29:13; 53:1).
- Would make a triumphal entry into Jerusalem (Zech 9:9; Ps 118:26).
- Betrayed by friend for 30 pieces of silver (Zech 11:1-13; Ps 41:9).
- Would be like a smitten shepherd (Zech 13:7).
- Would be given vinegar and gall (Ps 69:21).
- They would cast lots for His garments (Ps 22:18).
- His Side would be pierced (Zech 12:10; Ps 22:16).
- Not a bone would be broken (Ex 12:46; Num 9:12; Ps 34:20).
- Would die among malefactors (Isa 53:9, 12).
- His dying words foretold (Ps 22:1; 31:5).
- Would be buried by a rich man (Isa 53:9).
- Rise from dead on 3rd day (Gen 22:4; Ps 16:10-11; Jon 1:17).
- Resurrection followed by destruction of Jerusalem (Dan 9:26;11:31;
There are others: these are quoted explicitly in the NT text…There is an
additional list for the final week…
The Old Testament was translated into Greek by 270B.C. They contain
over 300 prophecies detailing the Coming Messiah. We are now going
to examine just eight of them.
For this stastistical analysis, I am indebted to Peter Stoner, Science
Speaks (which I took as the basis and modified). Can we measure our
confidence that Jesus really was who He said He was?
See pdf file at bottom of page to see complete notes: Hour 13
Connect with Amos37
Stay up to date with Amos37.com eMail update (Weekly)